Looking for a cool, inexpensive holiday gift?
Here’s the ideal stocking-stuffer for the frequent flyer, nervous passenger or global traveler on your list.
Cockpit Confidential is wry, thoughtful, and at times provocative look into the confounding world of commercial air travel. More than just a book about flying, its subject is everything and everything about the grand theater of air travel, from airport architecture to terrorism to the colors and cultures of the world’s airlines.
NOW A NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER
“A book to be savored and passed to friends.”
— William Langeweische, Vanity Fair
Patrick Smith has been called the thinking man’s pilot. For the better part of a decade, his Ask the Pilot column at Salon.com was a singular and remarkable sensation: an aviation column, for heaven’s sake, that could offer up trenchant analysis of an air disaster one day, then the next day stride fearlessly into politics, culture, or even rock music, and somehow tie it all together. Cockpit Confidential features the best of that material, refreshed and adapted into a seven-chapter volume of FAQs, essays and personal memoir. Whether it’s the nuts and bolts of cockpit operation or a hilarious critique of airline logos and color schemes, Patrick Smith can riff with surprising levels of humor, insight and eloquence. Cockpit Confidential is smart, funny, and brimming with useful information.
“Nobody covers the airline experience like Patrick Smith. He brings balance and clarity to a subject all too often over-hyped. And, hes a damned good writer.”
— Clive Irving, Condé Nast Traveler
• How planes fly, and a revealing look at the men and women who fly them
• Straight talk on pilot training and safety
• The real story on congestion, delays, and the dysfunction of the modern airport
• Terrorism in perspective and a candid look at security
• Airfares, seating woes, and the pitfalls of airline customer service
• The colors and cultures of the airlines we love to hate
• The yin and yang of global travel
• Gratuitous references to 80s-era indie rock bands
SECOND EDITION NOW AVAILABLE IN PAPERBACK, ELECTRONIC AND AUDIOBOOK VERSIONS.
IN THE U.S.
IN THE U.K. AND IRELAND